Brady got his tonsils and adnoids out yesterday morning. Poor guy. His tonsil are HUGE and were "kissing" all of the time. His speech therapist thought that could be part of his problem so we went to chat with Dr. Fisher who is the ENT specialist that comes into Rock Springs from Lander. They thought he was a good canidite as well. So we scheduled and yesterday was the big day.
I was soo nervous. Not that anything would happen, but of the AFTER! He is normally sensitive and can be extremely pouty over dumb stuff. I couldn't imagine what it would be like when he actually has something to be whiney about. So...
We went to the surgery center at 6:30. Since he has a heart murmur, he has to be on antibodics for any kind of surgery, even to get his teeth cleaned. But since he couldn't take it orally, we went in to have it put into his iv. Well, duh, since it is going right into his blood stream, there was not reason for us to be there an hour early, but oh well. We had told him what was going to happen and that he was going to be able to eat lots of popsicles and ice cream and that his throat was going to be sore. So he was prepped as he could be. I even told him about the IV...he had just had kindergarten shots, so he knew... Anyways..
Once they called him to the back, he froze. He was soo nervous, but was talking so big and tough up to that point. When he had to get into his gown, have his blood pressure done and that thingy put on his finger, he lost it. It broke my heart.
I had put my camera in my car the night before so I wouldn't forget it. But then we took Marcus' truck. Go figure. I had to drop Marissa off at my mom's so I took her camcorder/camera with. Luckily it still had video from his wrestling meet, and that distracted him for a while. Even better, we found batteries in the bag for his gameboy!!! Score!
When they came in to talk to us and him, they told him he was going to be like a jet pilot with the mask. They even put the IV in after he was out!! Whoot for me!. He got up and walked with the nurse to the back room. Didn't even tell us bye.
Twenty minutes. That is all it took. Amazing eh? He woke up without freaking like so many kids do. He was drinking really good, but the best, most heartbreaking part was the first thing he said to me. "I didn't even cry mom". Aw!! I have been in that surgery room and it is SCARY. To be five and thinking you are a jet pilot....amazing.
An hour of recovery and we stopped at Smiths to get his drugs. Mom kept Marissa all day yesterday so Brady and I just hung out and watched "Spider-Pig". Today has been good too. He is still drinking lots and not overly whiney, not anything like I thought it might be...not that it isn't meritted after surgery. He is amazing and so tough.
Poor guy. All he wants is to go to McDonalds, so off we go.
Sidenote, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my pictures from yesterday off dad's camera thing. Driving me. He is going to have to burn me a cd.
5 comments:
Oh how scary! It's funny that him and Alyssa are the same age and their personalities are a lot alike. When I was reading your post I was sitting here thnking to myself that Alyssa would act just like that! Brave little boy! Tell him to feel better soon!
I am glad everything went good. I hate to see kids in pain or just sick. It breaks my heart. Sometimes at work I have to help the Docs with little ones and I seriously cry with them. I am glad he is getting better though. When are you coming to Cache Valley?
I seriously can't believe how much Brady looks like Jed in that picture.
Poor kid- hopefully he'll recover quickly!
OMG!! That is probably one of my roughest memories too! My girls got both of their tonsils and adenoids (sp?) taken out at the same time! When Maycen came out she looked scared to death and just cried. Of course that means that I just cried too ): Mike was in the other room with Jordyn and he said she just slept....GEEZ!! Anyway I feel what your goin through....tell your little tough guy to feel better soon!!
Post a Comment