Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Brady's Firefighter Field Trip

First of all.

I MISS MY CAMERA!!

Kenna's just doesn't quite do the trick. Sigh.
I went on a field trip with Brady's class last Thursday to the Fire Station. It was so SO cool. Mr. Danhoff is awesome. I think it was a great field trip and I learned a lot.
The kids learned not to play with candles and to remind parents to test their smoke detectors. Firefighter Don said that 80% of kids will not wake up to the alarm. How scary is that. I know Kenna and Brady are in that group for sure. They are HARD sleepers. He said to test it while they are sleeping so that you know, as a parent, how long it takes the kids to wake up. Scary, and something I hadn't thought about.
Brady got chosen to make the phone call to 911 to let them know that there was a fire in his 'home' and that he needed the firefighters to come. He also told the dispatcher that there was no one in the home and the fire was in the kitchen.

Then they used Disneyland smoke to fill the trailer. Way cool. The kids had to crawl on the ground under the smoke into the bedroom.
Once in the bedroom they had to touch the door (which was actually warm to the touch - how cool is that??) then go to the window to climb out.


Then the kids got to try on some of the firefighters equipment. This is Brady and his friend Graydon.



Then a firefighter dressed up in gear...complete with the mask and oxygen tank. He walked around to show kids he wasn't a monster or Darth Vader and not to hide from him if he came into their bedroom at night. I thought that was a great idea. I can totally see how kids would freak out not knowing who or what he was.
Then we had a visit from Sparky. I was a little nervous about that. Brady is TERRIFIED of characters and is the reason we haven't gone to Disneyland. Don't even get me started on how he freaks around Clowns. But guess what! He did great. Didn't freak at all. You could tell he was a little nervous, but was fine. Especially once he saw all of his friends were excited to see him.
Check it out. He even gave Sparky a hug!!

Brady has already gone to Albertsons to visit the bakery. He is going to the Animal Hospital Friday and gets to go to Indian Days next week. How stinkin cool is that.

6 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

What a fun field trip!! My brother in law is a fireman and had these special smoke alarms intalled in their home that are recordings of the parents voices calling the child awake- it still took like 2 minutes for my niece to budge and wake up! It's scary to think of that- I wonder if I would wake up?!

Tara said...

How fun and what a great experience. It sounds like you both learned a lot. What a cute kiddo!

Embellish the Moment said...

Wow... way more informative than when we were in school. What fun field trips. Who woulda thought you could learn anything in the armpit of the west! jk, not like BR is any better!

Tara Bergsjo said...

We have gone to our Fire Station on field trips. But they were not as cool as yours!! What good ideas!!

Shauna said...

Awesome :) Hey come on over and check out my new book giveaway blog :)

Jo said...

What fun and a good reminder. It looks like you've been crazy busy. Glad you and Brady are o.k. after that reck...yikes, doesn't look pretty. Your Kids are so dang cute! They always look like they are having a blast.